Thursday, December 10, 2015

10th: We have a new Uni Sponsored girl – Isaurinha!

Carla Monine, lovingly treated as Isaurinha, is 19 years old and was one of the first UPG Portugal Sponsored children in Xai-Xai. Ambitious and joyful she is the youngest ALG University Scholarship Holder. She’s attending the 1st year of the Food Engineering Processing Degree at the Gaza Polytechnic Superior Institute, in Chokwé. Because she is away from home ALG made an effort to secure adequate accommodation, and Carla is currently in the young girls boarding facility in Chokwé, ran by the Vincentian Sisters. Besides the scholarship, Carla helps Sister Aida, the Local ALG Partner in SVP, with After School Support activities for the UPG Sponsored children at the SVP School.
“Studying is my favourite thing and being a year out of school was really hard. I thought it might be the time to quit but I decided to believe in myself, and I’m still here today willing to do my best throughout my superior education. Being poor is not a choice but to fight poverty is, so I chose to study to eradicate my poverty conditions and have a better life. I was only 7 years old when I met ALG UK and UPG Portugal and I learned so much with them and with the Dominican Sisters, especial with Sister Isabel who has always been very demanding mainly studies wise.
My studies have always been looked after by ALG UK and UPG Portugal, even when I failed in 9th grade they never stopped supporting me in every step of the way. My heartfelt Khanimabo to ALG UK, UPG Portugal and to the Xai-Xai Dominican Sisters. I will be in Chokwé employing all my best efforts to succeed”.
ALG University Scholarships provide young dedicated but deprived students like Isaurinha the opportunity to complete their university studies. ALG University Scholarship Holders are preferably students who previously benefited from the UPG Sponsoring Programme or community youngsters engaged with ALG as technicians, teachers or volunteers, with proven merit and will to study. These youngsters come from Chongoene, Chokwé or Xai-Xai, where they tend to return to after concluding their studies, with strengthened capacities and higher education to benefit the local community.
With £754 and £1’070 per year, depending on the degree and location, ALG University Scholarship finances the living costs for the students securing mainly university tuitions and enrolment fees, with occasional support to other expenditures such has accommodation and meals. In 2015 ALG supported 11 dedicated and committed students to follow their dreams in the degrees of Dentistry, Law, Business Administration and Management, Physics Teaching, Accounting, Mineral’s Engineering and Food Engineering Processing and School Administration and Management. ALG University Scholarships fulfil dreams and change lives forever.

Amongst friends, in your company or individually help your ALG University Scholarship Holders like Carla – bring a great help to Mozambique! Please contact us for more details.

ALG has been offering this festive calendar to all ALG friends since 2011. This year you can also print a high definition version for only 1£!

Donate here

No comments:

Post a Comment