Thursday, April 2, 2015

Carla Monine - ALG’s newest university scholarship

19 year old Carla Monine was one of UPG Portugal’s Sponsoring Programme first sponsored children in Xai-Xai and she’s ALG’s newest university scholarship holder. She’s attending the 1st year of the Food Engineering and Processing Degree at the Gaza Polytechnic Superior Institute, in Chokwé. Because she’s away from home ALG made an effort to guarantee proper accommodation facilities, and Carla is at the moment at the Boarding School for young girls in Chokwé, ran by the Vincentian Sisters. In parallel to her University Scholarship, Carla helps Sister Aida, our Local Partner in SVP, with After-School Support activities for the UPG Portugal sponsored children in SVP.

“Studying is my favourite thing and being a year out of school was really hard. I thought it might be the time to quit but I decided to believe in myself, and I’m still here today willing to do my best throughout my higher education. Being poor is not a choice but to fight poverty is, so I chose to study to eradicate my poverty conditions and have a better life. I was only 7 years old when I met ALG UK and UPG Portugal and I learned so much with them and with the Dominican Sisters, especial with Sister Isabel who has always been very demanding mainly studies wise.
My studies have always been looked after by ALG UK and UPG Portugal, even when I failed in 9th grade they never stopped supporting me in every step of the way. My heartfelt Khanimabo to ALG UK, UPG Portugal and to the Xai-Xai Dominican Sisters. I will be in Chokwé employing all my best efforts to succeed”.

ALG University Scholarships give dedicated but underprivileged students the opportunity to go through university education. ALG University Scholarship Holders are preferably students who previously benefited from the UPG Portugal Sponsoring Programme or local community youngsters involved with ALG as technicians, teachers or local volunteers, with proven merit and willingness to study. These youngsters are from Chongoene, Chokwé or Xai-Xai, to where they intend to return after their studies, with higher education and better skills to benefit the local community.


Between £830 and £1240 per year, depending on the degree and location, ALG scholarship finances the daily living expenditures guaranteeing mainly tuitions and enrolment with an occasional support for living costs such as accommodation and meals. In 2014 ALG supported 12 dedicated students committed in following their dreams in their Medicine, Law, Business Management and Administration, Physics and Accounting Teaching degrees. ALG University Scholarships make dreams come true and change lives forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment